Best Tips For Celebrating Special Occasions When Traveling
Celebrating a milestone birthday or anniversary? Maybe you are looking to do something different than cook another Thanksgiving dinner for the out-of-town family. Special occasions and holidays are absolutely the best time to cruise!
- Keep in mind that cruise itineraries vary throughout the calendar year so you may not have a choice of destination depending on when your special occasion falls. If you are looking to escape over the winter holidays, you have a good chance of heading to the warm, tropical Caribbean. Or cruise Alaska for a summertime occasion. But where ever you decide to go, you can rest assured that all you have to do is relax and be pampered. The cruise line will take care of all the festive, traditional preparations (and clean-up!) for you.
- Once you've decided on the luxury vacation to celebrate, decide who you want to invite to come along. Don't feel that you are obligated to pay for the actual cruise ticket for your guests. Just a notice to family and friends that you are going on a cruise is enough to entice them to join in! If you do end up with an entourage, check out some great tips on Cruising with Groups.
Hover over each picture below for ideas on what you can expect when taking a holiday cruise or celebrating a special occasion on board.
Birthday and Anniversary Celebrations
I love celebrating a birthday or anniversary on board. Honestly, it's just as much fun for the rest of the group as it is for the person of honor. Just let your travel professional know the date of the special occasion and they'll make sure that the dining staff knows. On that night, they'll pamper you with a dessert or other special remembrance.
Additionally, some cruise lines will complimentary decorate your cabin door to commemorate the occasion. It's so fun to arrive at your room with balloons and decorations.
Speaking of, for a nominal fee you can often pre-purchase birthday or anniversary packages for the recipients. Even if you are not the one cruising, if you know the cruise line and date of the special occasion cruise, you can purchase a room decoration package or other special gifts to be delivered to the cabin for a big surprise.
Holidays On Board
Every holiday on board a cruise ship is the most festive way to celebrate it. We've cruised over Christmas, Easter, even Father's Day is a special treat. With stunning decorations to admire, themed culinary treats to enjoy and traditional music, you won't even miss your traditional celebrations back home. The experienced and talented staff will make your holiday above and beyond anything you've ever experienced.
Christmas on Celebrity Reflection December 2012
Father's Day on Celebrity Solstice June 2018
Cruising is the Perfect Gift!
Look no further. It may be something that you want to save for, or maybe invite numerous family members to chip in, but there are many reasons a cruise is the best gift you can give someone. You may want to cruise along with the recipient, making a wonderful, memorable group cruise. Or send a couple on board to celebrate their special occasion.
Once you have decided on giving this amazing gift for an anniversary or other momentous occasion, now is the time to do some research on planning the trip.
- Will you plan the cruise so that your parents can spend their actual special day on board? If so, you might want to give it to them ahead of time so they have plenty of time to pack, stop the mail, etc.
- Then, find the perfect cruise line that they would enjoy. Have they cruised before and have a favorite? Have they been wanting to go to a particular destination?
- And where do they enjoy staying when on board a ship? (Hint: If your budget affords it, a veranda cabin is always romantic.)
A travel agent or direct cruise line representative will be happy to help you make these booking decisions.
Finally, find a spectacular way to surprise the recipient with the cruise. Fill a box or tote bag with fun nautical or tropical paraphernalia, such as sunscreen, sunglasses, even a toy boat. Include the cruise brochure so they have something tangible to get excited about. A special occasion only happens once-in-a-lifetime, and a once-in-a-lifetime cruise is the perfect way to celebrate!